This is a list to check essential webstore functionality. More details in the online shopping notes.
Never start by building/hosting your own webstore. Start with Shopify or Etsy. Seriously, don't start building a webstore before you try both of these out. 80% of effort in running a webstore is in marketing, taking pictures, handling returns and delivery anyway. You can game Etsy a little bit by having only one product with "Customer comments" to allow customization so you only have a single listing.
Main webstore checklist:
- Are featured products shown on the home page?
- Are there breadcrumbs at the top of the page under the header?
- Are the breadcrumbs are separated with
- Are item prices shown near the product name in each context?
- Does the site offer at least type, brand and price filtered search?
- Is the copywriting consistent e.g. Add to Cart, Checkout?
- Are delivery country possibilities shown or available to be shownon each page?
- Are payment options shown on every page or behind one clearly labelled link?
- Does the webstore explain how reclamation process works? No questions asked-return policy works the best.
- Is the website communicating over SSL (HTTPS)?
- Does the webstore work on mobile?
- Is the website running on
- Does the website avoid using stock photos?
- Does the website show total number of orders shipped and customers served.
- Does the website show customer service hours and contact telephone number.
- Are there customer testimonials?
Shopping cart checklist:
- Are the shopping cart and the item count clearly visible on each page?
- Does the store give visible feedback when an item is added to the shopping cart e.g. redirect or animated message?
- Can you remove an item from the shopping cart with one click?
Product description page checklist:
- Does the product have an image? Having a video is optional.
- Can you open the image thumbnails to see a high definition version?
- Are there product images from all sides of the product?
- Are basic product images shot using a single color background and soft lightning?
- Is there a standard size item on the picture to give sense of scale on smaller products?
- Are there product close up images showing small details e.g. ports?
- Is there at least one product image where the product is in an exciting or normal usage setting?
- Does the product have custom, story-like and engaging description?
- Are the related products shown?
- Can customers create and view product reviews?
- Shows estimated delivery date for the product?
Checkout page checklist:
- Is the ordering process split to multiple logical steps?
- Is there a clear way back to shopping?
- The shopping cart only contains items that the user placed there?
- Buying doesn't require registration?
- Shows items in cart that have thumbnails and link to the product page?
- Shows estimated delivery date for the whole order?
- Shows support telephone number or offer chat functionality?
- Shows available payment methods?
- Has a button to save the car for later?
- Shows trust marks?
- Shows additional related products in a non-aggressive way?
- Tells where the shipping facility is located?