Fit is everything. No matter the price, the article or the style. Buy it to fit, get it tailored or do not wear it. Keep a record of your average sizes and start fitting with those.
Never wear brand t-shirts of brands that you do not stand behind. Yes, throw away the Coca-Cola shirt. Even if you prefer Coke over Pepsi. You are only allowed to wear brand shirts if you work in the company.
Freeze your smelly shoes. If your shoes smell, put them in a plastic bag and in a freezer overnight. Those smelly bacteria die when frozen.
Buy a lot of identical socks. Throw away all your socks and buy 30 identical pairs of black socks. Doesn't matter if one is lost or breaks, they are all identical, and black socks go with absolutely everything.
Accessories are ok. Women wear jewelery, men wear watches.
Check what clothes you use. On New Year's, put all clothes hangers wrong way around. If you are wrong way around next New Year, throw away or sell those clothes.
For starters, stick with simple colors and earthy tones. Basic clothing for men:
- Use light brown leather shoes as they go with everything except a black suit.
- Your shoes and belt should always match, thus go with brown leather belt.
- Use black socks as they go with everything but especially with brown leather.
- Blue jeans that fits you.
- T-shirt that fits you.
When you feel confident, match t-shirt or dress shirt to your skin tone. Note that a white dress shirt is acceptable in many setups.
- Pale = Use pastel colors, avoid all bright and dark colors.
- White = Use light colors, avoid black and white.
- Brown = Use dark colors, prefer red, avoid pastel colors.
- Black = Use dark colors, prefer black, blue and purple.
- Never pop the collar, never.
- Suit jackets and blazers usually come with a little stitch holding the back vents (flaps) together. Break that.
- Neck ties should always be darker than the shirt.
- Color contrast between a vest and a jacket should be noticeable.
- Prefer having darker vest than jacket.
- Light jacket + Lighter dress shirt + Dark tie.
- Dark jacket + Darker vest + Dark/Light striped dress shirt e.g. blue/white.
- Dark brown jacket + Brown/Red/White squared shirt.
I've personally steered towards only wearing the following setup and getting rid of all of my other clothes:
- Socks: Dressman Suit Socks, black, one-size
- Underwear, Summer: H&M Boxers that come in 3-pack, any color, size L
- Underwear, Winter: Devold Hiking Man 3/4 Long Johns, red, size XL
- T-shirt: any cheap cotton t-shirt, black, size L
- Pants: Fjällräven Keb Gaiter Men, red, size EU 58
- Shoes: Jalas 3322 (Drylock Combat Boots), size 45
- Hoodie: Varusteleka Särmä Merino Wool Hoodie, black, size XXL
- Jacket, Fall: Fjällräven Skogsö Jacket Men, black, size XL
- Jacket, Winter: Fjällräven Skogsö Padded Jacket Men, black, size XL
- Cap: Fjällräven Forever Nature Cap, raspberry red, size L/XL
- Backback: Fjällräven Räven 28, deep forest