This note is about establishing good work environment.
Coding environment needs to be good for optimal productivity. It can make a developer 2.6 times more productive. Optimal developer work space:
- Around 5x5m space.
- No co-worker distractions.
- Quality furniture.
- The office space is good quality e.g. ping pong table and refrigerator.
- A window with curtains.
Additional things you can do to boost work environment:
- Let developer pick their own computer, laptop/desktop, Mac/Win/Linux.
- Let employees pick their own email address. They want to be more than a number.
Great programmers will are attracted by great environments. You can create great environments by providing benefits that cost less than they give in value.
- Offer health club memberships.
- Offer free soft drinks.
- New movie coming out? Rent out whole theatre in afternoon and go watch it.
- Offer that they can work with smart people.
- Offer authority.
- Have hackathon, boardgame or other activities.